Frank W. Carmon, Jr. opened the F.W. Carmon Funeral Home at 6 Poquonock Avenue in February 1946. He purchased the two and a half story brick dwelling from F. Elizabeth Mack and after extensive alterations turned the first floor into a funeral home, complete with a chapel and a display room. Carmon and his wife, Nan Christensen Carmon, resided on the second floor.
A graduate of John Fitch High School, Carmon attended the University of Alabama before graduating from the McAllister School of Embalming in New York in 1939. He entered the U.S. Army in 1941 and became one of Windsor’s most decorated servicemen during World War II. His decorations included the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star Medal, the Bronze Star Medal, and the Purple Heart with two Oak Leaf Clusters. Carmon was discharged on December 29, 1945 with the rank of Major.