The Windsor Hardware Co. in the Plaza Building on Broad Street in Windsor Center was one of the busiest stores in town during the 1940’s and 1950’s.
George A. Patterson, who had purchased Windsor Hardware in October 1932, wore two hats in Windsor. In addition to being a very knowledgeable hardware man, he was also a member of the Windsor Volunteer Fire Department. In 1946, he was named assistant chief of the department and three years later, in 1949, he was promoted to chief by Town Manager Richard H. Custer. Chief Patterson held the post for ten years before retiring in July 1958.
In 1958, Windsor Hardware moved to a building which had been formerly occupied by First National Stores, just south of the Plaza Building.